I’m excited

Can I use my ticket from Lucerne to Interlaken to take any train between these cities?

I purchased rail europe tickets to go from Lucerne to Interlaken, Switzerland on Tuesday May 5. There is no time on my tickets. Does that give me the flexibility to take any rail europe train going from Lucerne to Interlaken on that day?
1 person has
this question
+1
  • Jeff (Official Rep) March 12, 2014 20:47
    Hi Charles,

Yes, that's correct. 'Open tickets' are issued for these trains, which would be valid for you to use on any later train from Lucerne to Interlaken that day. Therefore, actual departure and arrival times would not be displayed on these tickets.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Thanks Jeff. After Mt Pilatus, we were going to backtrack to Lucerne to get our luggage then catch the 2 or 3PM from Lucerne to Interlaken all on the same day Monday, May 5, 2014. However, to save time, could we use the same Lucerne to Interlaken ticket from Alpnachstad to Interlaken. If so is there luggage lockers at Alpnachstad station for us to drop off our luggage while we go to Pilatus Kulm?
    Appreciate you advice!
    Charles
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Jeff (Official Rep) March 13, 2014 15:50
    Hi Charles,

There are lockers at the Alpnachstad station, yes.

A connection from Alpnachstad to Interlaken would involve changing trains in Sarnen along the way. You could change trains in Lucerne en route, but it would add about a half hour to the trip. In any case, a ticket from Lucerne to Interlaken would not be valid to start in Alpnachstad, as you would need to purchase an additional ticket for that train from Alpnachstad to Sarnen. You can, however, use your ticket from Lucerne to Interlaken to board in Sarnen. The trains from Lucerne to Interlaken do stop in Sarnen right after they depart Lucerne. These trains will depart Sarnen just about 19 minutes after they are scheduled to depart out of Lucerne.

You would pay to board the train from Alpnachstad to Sarnen locally upon arrival, and the ride would only take about 9 minutes.

For your trip to Mount Pilatus, you would purchase the Mount Pilatus Pass, which would cover the bus from Lucerne to Kriens, the cable car from Kriens up the mountain, and the cog railway down the mountain to Alpnachstad.

The Mount Pilatus Pass would be purchased here: http://www.raileurope.com/activities/mount-pilatus/index.html.

Since you would just be traveling with regular point-to-point tickets for your other journeys, you would select the 'Alpnachstad or Kriens-Mt Pilatus/Full Fare' option for this pass.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited