Do trains from Porto (Portugal) to Faro (Portugal), run on January 1, 2016? When can I purchase the tickets online?

I want to travel from Porto to Faro on January 1, 2016. My travel agent said the train might not run if there are not enough passages. Is there any true to it? It seems to me it is too early to book the tickets. When can I purchase the tickets online? Please let me know.

Thanks,

William
1 person has
this question
+1
  • Jeff (Official Rep) October 19, 2015 14:54
    Hi William.

Rest assured, trains in Portugal do run on January 1st, including trains from Porto to Faro. There are direct trains from Porto to Faro, but most options from Porto to Faro would involve changing trains once in Lisbon en route.

Generally, trains in Portugal can be ticketed once within 60 days of an intended date of departure. With that said, our website is currently not displaying trains on the route from Porto to Faro for any date after November 19th (even though dates between November 19th and December 19th would fall within the 60 day booking window). Therefore, if you'd like to get an idea of the ticket costs and schedules until your 60 day booking window arrives, you would have to use a date some time prior to November 19th. Assuming your travel date is January 1st, you would then be able to purchase your tickets for the route from Porto to Faro on November 1st. When November 1st comes, it might still be the case that the trains on this route don't display on our website for your requested travel date; however, tickets for this particular route would still be able to be purchased by calling us once you're within 60 days. If the 60 day window arrives and you still don't see these trains display on our site, then you can call us to purchase the tickets. We can be reached at 1-800-622-8600.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Jeff (Official Rep) October 19, 2015 15:29
    It is also important to note that the national rail network of Portugal does not enable any of their trains to be reserved from anywhere outside the country. Therefore, we are only able to issue the tickets that you would need for a connection from Porto to Faro. As it happens, the trains from Porto to Faro (including the trains from Porto to Lisbon and the trains from Lisbon to Faro) do require reservations to go along with the tickets we issue for the route. With that being the case, you would have to purchase the reservations at the station prior to boarding. When you go to purchase the reservation, just be sure to mention that you already have the ticket, so that they don't charge you for that as well.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited