EMERGENCY : Travel from Girona to Madrid with a touring bike on Sunday 23rd April 2017

Hi,

Question regarding travel from Girona to Madrid. Can you please suggest me a route to take my touring bike with me ? I can't take AVE as my bike is long haul touring bike with fully loaded pannier bags and sleeping bag/tent. It is okay to travel to near by other train stations and same apply to Madrid, no need to be exactly Madrid. It will do if its close by. Up to 100 km is fine by me.

It will great help if you help me out. I have been biking from France and crossing the full length of Pyrenees and heading towards Gibraltar.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Suganya
1 person has
this question
+1
  • Jeff (Official Rep) April 21, 2017 20:11
    Hi Suganya,

It is true that an assembled bike would not be allowed on board AVE trains. In Spain, fully assembled bicycles are only allowed on board MD (Media Distancia) and other regional trains. However, there are no such trains operating direct from Girona to Madrid. On MD trains, there is sometimes a limit of 2 bikes per train, so it always best to check locally. Also, the cost to take an assembled bike on board these trains is €3.

You could take an MD train from Girona to Barcelona. a regional train from Barcelona to Zaragosa, and then another regional train from Zaragosa to Madrid. To do this, it would take at least about 10.5 or 11 hours.

You would purchase tickets by searching a route under 'Find Train Tickets' on our homepage, www.raileurope.com. For a connection like the one I described, you would just have to piece it together by doing a separate search for each segment and look for the correct trains. Additionally, for Girona to be recognized on our website it would have to be typed as 'Gerona', and Zaragoza would have to be typed as 'Zaragosa'. Therefore, when you go to purchase the tickets, you would do one search for trains from 'Gerona' to 'Barcelona', another search for connecting trains from 'Barcelona' to 'Zaragosa', and then another search for connecting trains from 'Zaragosa' to 'Madrid'.

For the segment from Gerona to Barcelona, you would just have to be sure to choose an MD train, which will be labeled accordingly.

For the segments from Barcelona to Zaragosa and Zaragosa to Madrid, you would have to be sure to choose regional trains. These regional trains can be distinguished by their train number. The regional trains from Barcelona to Zaragosa and Zaragosa to Madrid will have train numbers that begin with a '1' and are 5 digits in length.

Generally, the MD and regional trains in Spain can only be booked within 60 days of an intended departure date. As it is currently, the national rail network of Spain has not yet opened up ticket purchases for most trains operating on dates beyond June 6th. We hope the national rail network of Spain to make these tickets available very soon for dates after June 6th. If your intended travel happens to fall after this date, you can get an idea of the ticket costs and schedules in the meantime just by using an earlier date.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Thanks a million. Great help at this high time. Much appreciated..
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated