I’m Confused/frusterated (Help)!

Europe Backpacking and train travel trip from May 30- late June 20-23 (2017)

Hello so I am planning a trip to Europe this summer... I will be traveling around central Europe for 20-23 days. I need help with few things.

The plan: Start in Vienna for few days then the trip begins--> Night train to Berlin--> Night train to Amsterdam (if possible)...if not I would do a night train to Cologne and then go to Amsterdam.--> Brussels--> Paris--> Night train to Switz. (we want to get to Bern if possible) for a day trip--> ITALY

In Italy we want to spend it in Florence/Rome/Venice

If possible we would like to do a night train from Bern (or somewhere near in Switzerland) to Rome then --> Florence--> Venice

I have a few questions related to this entire trip:
1.) Will a Global pass for 22 days continuous cover the travel
2.) Will there be trains that I can use with the pass in all of these locations
3.) where do I set this all up (is it specifically one website at a time) or am I able to get it all done and reserved through this website. (would I be able to call someone and talk through the dates and times and would they be able to set everything up over phone)
4.) Can I do overnight trains reservations on here also?
5.) When can I start reserving for all of this if I know the dates where/when I would like to travel
6.) My friend (coming with) and i are meeting up with friend from Austria and he will be travelling around with us... how will we be able to match up reservations/train times etc
7.) Why should I choose RailEurope rather than other rail companies (do you set up more like reservations etc?)

THANK YOU SO much for reading!
Please let me know if you have any helpful information to fill me in on.

1 person has
this question
+1
  • Jeff (Official Rep) December 21, 2016 17:12
    Hi Wyatt!

A Eurail Global Pass does cover trains along the routes mentioned, yes; however, some of the routes on which you indicated you’d like to take an overnight train don’t actually have overnight trains or even feasible overnight connections.

For instance, there are no overnight options from Berlin to Amsterdam, Berlin to Cologne, Paris to destinations in Switzerland, Bern to Florence, or Bern to Venice. An overnight connection from Bern to Rome would involve changing trains once in Milan en route, with the segment from Milan to Rome being on the actual overnight train.

It would also be important to point out that there are trains called ‘Italo’ trains in Italy on which rail passes would not be valid. When traveling with a rail pass, you would instead need to take ‘Le Frecce’ trains (Frecciarossa, Frecciargento, or Frecciabianca) for your trips between Rome, Florence, and Venice.

We do sell reservations for customers traveling with rail passes. Rail Europe is unique in that we provide customers with the option to purchase either a rail pass (with reservations) or regular tickets, in addition to various city passes and tours. Our ability to sell passholder reservations applies to both day trains and overnight trains. For travel with a rail pass, reservations can be purchased on our website (www.raileurope.com) by clicking the 'Seat Reservations' tab on our homepage, entering a route, and indicating the type of rail pass with which you'll be traveling (i.e. a ‘Eurail Global Pass’). However, for travel this extensive, I would definitely urge you to call us (we are also unique in that we staff a call center with rail consultants ready to help you and answer any questions you have.) We can be reached at 1-800-622-8600. Our current hours are 8:00 AM to 6:30 PM CT Monday to Friday. Calling us would also be the best way to attempt to coordinate seats with your Austrian friend.

Reservations would be required on most of your trains. Below I’ve laid out the booking horizons for the trains on each of the routes you mentioned in your post:

Overnight train from Vienna to Berlin (OBB overnight train): within 90 days of a departure

Trains operating within Germany, as well as direct trains operating between Germany and Amsterdam (ICE or IC trains): within 180 days of a departure

Trains from Amsterdam to Brussels and Brussels to Paris (Thalys trains): within 90 days of a departure

Direct trains from Paris to Switzerland (TGV Lyria trains): within 90 days of a departure

Direct trains operating between Switzerland and Italy: within 120 days of a departure

Trains operating within Italy (the Le Frecce trains and IC trains): within 120 days of a departure.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned