London to Dijon & then Dijon to Amsterdam. Should I buy a rail pass or tickets?

I am traveling with my daughter from London to Dijon then Dijon to Amsterdam. Should I buy a railpass rather than separate tickets totaling $550? I am 57 years old and my daughter is 21 years old.
I am not sure if I have to buy a Britpass or euro pass?
1 person has
this question
+1
  • Jeff (Official Rep) July 12, 2016 20:17
    Hi Cynthia,

Please note, there is no rail pass that combines England with countries on the mainland continent of Europe. Instead of tickets, however, you could purchase a France Rail Pass for 2 days. Even though this pass doesn't include England or the Benelux countries it would still enable you to receive discounted 'Passholder' rates on the trains out of London and into Amsterdam, as I'll explain below.

For the France Rail Pass, you would click here: https://www.raileurope.com/rail-tickets-passes/france-pass/index.html.

All of the trains you'll be taking will require reservations in addition to the pass, but his option still may work out to be more economical than getting regular tickets for the same trips.

For travel with a rail pass, you would purchase reservations by clicking the 'Seat Reservations' tab on our homepage (www.raileurope.com), entering a route, and indicating the type of rail pass with which you'll be traveling (i.e. a 'France Rail Pass').

London to Dijon

A connection from London to Dijon takes about 6 hours in duration and involves changing trains in Paris along the way. Trains from London to Paris are high-speed Eurostar trains, and trains from Paris to Dijon are high-speed TGV or TGV Lyria trains.

When purchasing passholder reservations for this connection, you would just have to break up your search once in Paris. Therefore, you would do one search for trains from London to Paris and another search for connecting trains from Paris to Dijon.

To ensure that it is the 'passholder' reservation fees that you're being quoted, you would click the 'View' button under the costs for your preferred departure. After you click the 'View' button, a box will expand out underneath. In this box, you would refer to the option(s) listed under where it says 'Ticket Flexibility' and click 'Read More'. When you click 'Read More', the name of the fare listed should be 'Eurostar Passholder III' for the Eurostar trains from London to Paris and 'TGV: French Day Train Passholder' for the TGV and TGV Lyria trains from Paris to Dijon. Generally, the passholder fares for these trains would be the 'Semi Flexible' option under 'Ticket Flexibility'.

Generally, the Eurostar can be booked once within 6 to 9 months of an intended departure, while TGV and TGV Lyria trains can only be booked once within 90 days of an intended date of departure.

When you pull up the results of these searches, you will also see that trains from London to Paris arrive into the Nord station in Paris, while the TGV and TGV Lyria trains from Paris to Dijon depart from the Gare de Lyon (station). To commute from Nord to Gare de Lyon, you would take Line D of the local RER train network. The ride on the RER from Nord to Gare de Lyon would only take about 8 minutes, but you would still want to allow yourself at least 1 full hour between your arrival from London and your departure to Dijon. You would pay to board the RER locally at the turnstiles in the Nord station.

Dijon to Amsterdam

A connection from Dijon to Amsterdam takes about 6.5 to 7 hours in duration and also involves changing trains in Paris along the way. Trains from Dijon to Paris are high-speed TGV or TGV Lyria trains, and trains from Paris to Amsterdam are high-speed Thalys trains.

When purchasing passholder reservations for this connection, you would once again have to break up your search once in Paris. Therefore, you would do one search for trains from Dijon to Paris and another search for connecting trains from Paris to Amsterdam.

To ensure that it is the 'passholder' reservation fees that you're being quoted, you would click the 'View' button under the costs for your preferred departure. After you click the 'View' button, a box will expand out underneath. In this box, you would refer to the option(s) listed under where it says 'Ticket Flexibility' and click 'Read More'. When you click 'Read More', the name of the fare listed should be 'TGV: French Day Train Passholder' for the TGV and TGV Lyria trains from Dijon to Paris and 'Thalys Passholder 1' for the Thalys trains from Paris to Amsterdam.

Generally, the passholder fares for these trains would be the 'Semi Flexible' option under 'Ticket Flexibility'.

Generally, these trains can be booked once within 90 days of an intended date of departure.

Your TGV or TGV Lyria from Dijon will arrive back into the Gare de Lyon (station) in Paris, and the Thalys trains depart from the Nord station. Therefore, you would once again take Line D of the RER to commute between these two stations, allowing yourself at least 1 full hour between your arrival from Dijon and your departure to Amsterdam.
    • Jeff (Official Rep) April 06, 2018 16:25
      IMPORTANT UPDATE

As of this month (April 2018):

The following rail passes no longer qualify passengers to receive ‘passholder’ rates for reservations on the Eurostar:

Any single country Eurail Pass, including:

• Eurail France Pass
      • Eurail Benelux Pass

Any 2 country option of Eurail Select Pass, including:

• Eurail France-Italy Pass
      • Eurail France-Switzerland Pass
      • Eurail France-Germany Pass
      • Eurail Benelux-France Pass
      • Eurail France-Spain Pass
      • Eurail Benelux-Germany Pass

BritRail Passes and the France-Italy combination of the 2 country Eurail Select Pass continue to not be valid on the Eurostar.

Passengers traveling with any of these rail passes would need to purchase regular tickets to take the Eurostar.

Passholder rates will continue to be offered (depending on availability) to any passenger traveling with a Eurail Global Pass, a 3 country Eurail Select Pass (that includes the country of arrival or departure, be it France or the Benelux), or a 4 country Eurail Select Pass (that includes the country of arrival or departure, be it France or the Benelux).
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited