Spain & Italy 2019 / Barcelona-Valencia, Valencia-Malaga, Malaga-Madrid, Venice-Rome

me and a friend are travelling to Spain and Italy in Aug 2019 can someone tell us what's the best way to use to train service our itenery will be as follows Barcelona to Valencia Valencia to Malaga Malaga to Madrid venice to rome
1 person has
this question
+1
  • Jeff (Official Rep) April 10, 2019 18:47
    Hi Kumail,

I would recommend purchasing a rail pass for trips in Spain and then a regular ticket for your train from Venice to Rome.

For your travels in Spain, you would purchase the Eurail Spain Pass. For the Eurail Spain Pass, you would click here: https://www.raileurope.com/pass/spain-pass-5931.

Barcelona to Valencia with a Eurail Spain Pass

From Barcelona to Valencia, you would take a Euromed train. These trains require reservations as a supplement to the Eurail Spain Pass.

You would purchase passholder reservations from Barcelona to Valencia by searching the route on our homepage (www.raileurope.com), checking the box that says ‘I have a rail pass’, and then indicating the type of rail pass with which you'll be traveling (i.e. a ‘Eurail Spain Pass’).

Generally, trains in Spain can be reserved once within 60-90 days of an intended departure date.

Valencia to Malaga with a Eurail Spain Pass

Connections from Valencia to Malaga take 4.5 to 5 hours in duration and involve changing trains once in Madrid along the way. Trains from Valencia to Madrid and Madrid to Malaga are AVE high-speed trains, which require reservations as a supplement to the Eurail Spain Pass.

When booking the reservations from Valencia to Malaga on our site, this time you would just need break up your search in Madrid. Therefore, you would do one search from Valencia to Madrid and then another search for connecting trains from Madrid to Malaga.

Malaga to Madrid with a Eurail Spain Pass

From Malaga to Madrid, you would take another AVE high-speed train, so reservations will again be required as a supplement to the Eurail Spain Pass.

You would purchase passholder reservations from Malaga to Madrid by searching the route on our homepage, checking the box that says ‘I have a rail pass’, and then indicating the type of rail pass with which you'll be traveling (i.e. a ‘Eurail Spain Pass’).

Venice to Rome (no pass)

You would purchase tickets from Venice to Rome by searching the route under 'Book Train Tickets' on our homepage. Since you would not be using a rail pass for this trip, this time you would leave the 'I have a rail pass' button unchecked.

On this route, there are high-speed Frecciarossa, Frecciargento and Italo trains.

Generally, these trains can be booked once within 120 days of an intended departure date.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Hello Jeff,

can't we just buy Eurail Spain pass and travel to all the places in Spain ?
    Barcelona to Venice
    Venice to Malaga
    Malaga to Madrid

I tried doing but its very confusing can I call and talk to an agent
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• is raileurope and Eurail same ?

rail Europe is $384 for 2 people 2nd class

Eurail is $396 for 2 people 2nd class

These trains require reservations as a supplement to the Eurail Spain Pass.
    does this mean we need to pay extra fare / ticket
    • Jeff (Official Rep) April 12, 2019 14:19
      Rail Europe is a company that sells rail passes, passholder reservations, and regular train tickets. The term 'Eurail' refers to a brand of rail pass that Rail Europe sells.

Yes, reservations are a supplementary cost to a rail pass. If you were to purchase regular point-to-point tickets (instead of a rail pass), the value of any necessary reservations would still be considered/embedded into those costs. Therefore, a rail pass can still work out to be the most economical option for travelers taking multiple trains while in Europe. It just depends on the itinerary.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Also if I but Eurail rail pass for 4 days can I take train from Malaga,Spain to Venice Italy
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated